Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How often does a starter switch on a 2002 alero have to be replaced and do they fail often?

In the past 5 months, my ignition starter switch has gone on my car and the Mechanic tells me that they have no way of telling if or when they will fail, it could last 10 days to 10 years, dont know when they will go. I cant be changing it all the time and was just wondering if that was true and if I will have to change it all the time.How often does a starter switch on a 2002 alero have to be replaced and do they fail often?
there is no why to tell I repaced my aunts starter on her honda 2 weeks later it went out so when you buy one get the one with a lifetime warrany.How often does a starter switch on a 2002 alero have to be replaced and do they fail often?
There is no way of telling when anything will go out on a car. If you have replaced it more than once in the last 5 mos, first i would recommend checking to see if they are using OEM parts or after market. Second off I would ask the next time for the part and take my car to another shop (reputable). Have them test both switchs and have them check the service bulletins pertaining to the part.



Heres one...................





Printer Friendly Confirmed Fix







Vehicle Description: 2002 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L, Vin E, Eng Cfg V6







Mileage: 85000







Customer Concern: The starter will not engage intermittently. No B+ at the PCM CRANK fuse in the left instrument panel junction block when this happens.







Tests/Procedures: 1. Check again for B+, using a headlight at the Yellow wire at the ignition switch.



2. Inspect the connection at the switch.







Potential Causes: Ignition switch

Wire/connection



** Confirmed Fix **

Ignition switch